Here’s all the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories you may have missed on Tuesday.
- All three Montreal Canadiens prospects in action on Tuesday started the tournament with a win, but it was Slovak forward Filip Mesar who stole the show on the opening day of the 2024 World Junior Championship. His offensive prowess and vision led to a bevy of scoring chances for his linemates. [Recommended Christmas Gifts For Montreal Canadiens Players]
- Team USA alternate captain Lane Hutson is poised to enjoy a very fruitful tournament as well. The defenceman continues to receive praise from analysts around the hockey world.
“He is special. His poise, his brains, his hands, his edgework. He’s always aware of where opportunities are. Everybody on the ice knows he’s a brilliant player & yet he continues to do brilliant things. He could be the best D-man this WJC.” – Craig Button on Lane Hutson today. pic.twitter.com/0672gk0md4
— /r/Habs (@HabsOnReddit) December 26, 2023
- The Habs have a Canada-heavy flavour to their NHL lineup this season.
Team player nationality leaders this season:
17 🇨🇦 — Montreal Canadiens
12 🇺🇸 — New York Rangers
6 🇸🇪 — Toronto Maple Leafs
6 🇫🇮 — Dallas Stars/Florida Panthers
4 🇷🇺— Washington/Columbus/San Jose
3 🇨🇿 — Boston Bruins/San Jose Sharks
3🇨🇭— New Jersey Devils
Montreal earning… pic.twitter.com/PHeuKk3NE0
— Big Head Hockey (@BigHeadHcky) December 26, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are officially five points out of an Eastern Conference wild-card spot. Reading the tea leaves and winning percentages becomes a different matter. The Penguins trail the Tampa Bay Lightning by five with three games in hand, but from there, it gets quite messy. The cutoff date to decide whether they’ll be sellers at the NHL’s trade deadline is quickly approaching. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- Owen Beck’s linemate, Nate Danielson, played a starring role for Team Canada in their 5-2 win over Team Finland. Danielson is also already enjoying better outcomes this month in Sweden than those that were afforded to his future NHL club when the Red Wings went 0-1-1 in two NHL games played in the Scandinavian country. Danielson scored the opening goal and set up the second. It was the tournament opener for both nations. For his efforts, Danielson earned recognition as the Canadian player of the game.[Detroit Red Wings]
- The Chicago Blackhawks may be shopping center Tyler Johnson. Trying to find that elusive second-line center, the Boston Bruins could benefit from Johnson’s presence in the lineup. [Chicago Blackhawks]