Your daily roundup of all the latest Montreal Canadiens stories, news, events, and highlights.
- Montreal Canadiens defenceman Kaiden Guhle is off to a great start to his sophomore season. The 21-year-old defenceman is currently the team’s best defenceman, and he’s quickly closing in on some of the elite defencemen in the NHL. The only player to produce more primary assists per 60 than Guhle in the last two years is the current Norris Trophy winner, Erik Karlsson.[Analysis: Canadiens Kaiden Guhle’s Grand Evolution Into A Top Defenceman]
- The NHL’s goaltending market is bound to open up, at least that’s what Kent Hughes is hoping will happen. While the Canadiens general manager waits for his opportunity, it appears the team is interested in signing Samuel Montembeault to a contract extension. [Canadiens Playing Goaltender Market, Weighing Options]
- Xavier Simoneau (2G), Joshua Roy (1G 1A) and Sean Farrell (1G 2A) had a great afternoon for the Laval Rocket in their 5-2 win over the Manitoba Moose.
JOSHUA ROY TO SEAN FARRELL AGAIN!
Rocket up 5-2! pic.twitter.com/VH8YFP54r0
— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) November 13, 2023
- Prospect Jayden Struble was suspended for 3 games for his actions following Friday evening’s game against the Moose. Struble left the bench to jump into the fray.
Final moments and aftermath of the Rocket/Moose game.
Tomorrow's game will likely be feisty pic.twitter.com/uzdaAlTFi7
— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) November 12, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- Bruins captain Brad Marchand has now taken seven penalties this season. The first six penalties were taken in the heat of the battle during play, but the latest one in a game against the Canadiens drew the ire of his head coach. [Boston Bruins]
There has been a distinct lack of scoring chances, especially high-quality chances against the Penguins. Defenceman Kris Letang admitted age may be a factor in the Penguins’ recent struggles. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- As the words were being spoken by Detroit Red Wings captain Dylan Larkin, you could almost hear Steve Yzerman singing the same tune. At the very least, it’s not difficult to picture the Red Wings GM echoing those sentiments, or at the very least, nodding in agreement. “I think we pay the price for it with our schedule after,” Larkin said of the upcoming NHL Global Series in Stockholm.[Detroit Red Wings]
- The Edmonton Oilers today announced that head coach Jay Woodcroft has been relieved of his duties. His replacement? None other than Kris Knoblauch, who served as an assistant coach with the Flyers for two seasons. [Philadelphia Flyers]