All the latest Habs news, recent Montreal Canadiens stories, and information from around the National Hockey League.
- Most outlets predict the Montreal Canadiens will miss the playoffs this year by a rather wide margin. Do you agree? [Montreal Canadiens Projected Standings For The 2023-24 Season]
- The Habs assigned both Mattias Norlinder and Emil Heineman to the AHL, which means they officially completed their 23-man, opening-night roster. Take a look at who made it, as well as the lines at practice. [Canadiens Montreal Canadiens Opening-Night Roster And Lines]
- Before we get going on the regular season, check out which players flourished during the preseason. Spoiler, Juraj Slafkovsky had a very good camp. [Canadiens Preseason: Slafkovsky Among Players Who Flourished]
- This will come as a shock, but phenom Lane Hutson received yet another accolade. The Habs prospect was named the Hockey East Player of the Week. Yes, already.
— BU Men's Hockey (@TerrierHockey) October 9, 2023
- Goaltending prospect Jacob Fowler also received some praise this week. He was named the Hockey East Goaltender of the Week for Boston College.
Well deserved, boys 🤝 pic.twitter.com/cljo9Oqkdq
— BC Men's Hockey (@BC_MHockey) October 9, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- The initial press release in August noted that Pittsburgh Penguins left wing Jake Guentzel had ankle surgery and would be re-evaluated on Nov. 1. But things have changed. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- In a move that comes as a slight surprise, the Colorado Avalanche placed veteran defenseman Brad Hunt on waivers Saturday afternoon. If he clears waivers Sunday, he’ll report to the Colorado Eagles for training camp. [Colorado Avalanche]
- The Boston Bruins have waived forwards Patrick Brown and A.J. Greer for the purpose of assignment to the Providence Bruins.[Boston Bruins]
- Former Hab Denis Gurianov will not be starting the season in the NHL. The Nashville Predators made a somewhat surprising move, sending Gurianov to the waiver wire with the intention of placing him in the minors. [Nashville Predators]
- The Chicago Blackhawks are whittling down the roster to the mandatory 23 for Tuesday’s regular-season opener on the road against the Pittsburgh Penguins. [Chicago Blackhawks]
- Training camp and the preseason have come and passed for the New York Islanders, who will now turn their attention to games that matter. [New York Islanders]
- The Vegas Golden Knights claimed Grigori Denisenko from the Florida Panthers on Saturday. Denisenko was the No. 15 pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers. The 23-year-old appeared in 18 games for the Florida Panthers last season logging three assists. [Vegas Golden Knights]
- The Vegas Golden Knights claimed Grigori Denisenko from the Florida Panthers on Saturday. Denisenko was the No. 15 pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers. The 23-year-old appeared in 18 games for the Florida Panthers last season logging three assists. [Florida Panthers]
- His Detroit Red Wings teammates like to talk about the incredible ability that Daniel Sprong possesses in his quick-release shot. As the NHL preseason was concluding on Saturday, Sprong put that unique talent on display for all to see. [Detroit Red Wings]
- The Philadelphia Flyers began two days of team bonding on Sunday, which included golf and other off-ice activities. Players will get together for planned activities — watching the Eagles and Phillies is likely part of the plan — without the coaching staff. [Philadelphia Flyers]