Have a look at all the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories you may have missed on a very busy Friday in the NHL.
- The Montreal Canadiens did not wait long to make their move following the trade that saw Elias Lindholm make his way to the Vancouver Canucks. Kent Hughes traded Monahan to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for a first-round pick in 2024 and a conditional third-round pick in 2027. [Canadiens Trade Sean Monahan To Winnipeg Jets]
- Considering the Habs received a first-round pick to absorb Monahan’s contract from Calgary last year, the additional first-round pick they got from Winnipeg is just the cherry on top of the excellent-trade sundae. [Instant Analysis: Canadiens Get Fantastic Value In Monahan Deals]
- The Canadiens received a healthy return for Monahan, but there’s no doubt his absence will leave a significant gap in the lineup. On the flip side, the trade will have a positive impact on the long-term rebuild plans and the 2024 NHL Draft. [Impact Of Sean Monahan Trade On Canadiens Lineup And Rebuild]
- Hughes met with the media following the trade and touched on a few interesting topics, including some information about the process involved in the deal, the possibility of trading more veterans, and more. [Habs GM Kent Hughes Discusses Monahan Trade, Upcoming Trades]
- The New York Islanders placed forward Julien Gauthier on waivers. The 2016 first-round pick has scored five goals and nine assists in 27 games this season. He’s relatively young and has a big frame, but there are a few red flags in his game. [2016 First-Round Pick Available To Canadiens On NHL Waivers]
- The NHL announced that players will participate in both the 2026 (Milan) and 2030 (TBD) Winter Olympics.
— NHL (@NHL) February 2, 2024
- Prospect Jacob Fowler was once again named the goaltender of the month for Hockey East (NCAA).
Congrats to Jacob Fowler on being named the Hockey East Goaltender of the Month 🔥 pic.twitter.com/XooW9GDgbD
— /r/Habs (@HabsOnReddit) February 2, 2024
- Monahan’s games played bonus will still count against the Canadiens’ year-end salary cap
Of note in the Sean Monahan trade: His $15,000 games played bonus will be applied to the #habs year-end cap total since it was earned while he played for them. The remainder of his salary goes to the #NHLJets.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) February 2, 2024
National Hockey Now Network
- NHL Commissioner, Gary Bettman, addressed the media at this weekend’s All-Star event in Toronto about the 2018 Hockey Canada sexual assault allegations in London, Ontario. [New Jersey Devils]
Take a look at which Calgary Flames players could potentially represent their countries at the 2026 and 2030 Winter Olympics in Milan. [Calgary Flames]
- Silly season is officially in swing. TSN NHL insider Darren Dreger reported Thursday afternoon that the Philadelphia Flyers are taking calls on forward Scott Laughton. Dreger added that the Flyers are not jumping at the possibility, but general manager Danny Briere is gauging interest. [Philadelphia Flyers]