Have a look at all the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories you may have missed during the weekend.
- Hockey Insider Elliotte Friedman brought up an interesting trade scenario involving Montreal Canadiens veteran Sean Monahan. He suggested the New York Rangers should be interested in the centre, especially now that they have lost Filip Chytil for the entire season. But would a trade make sense? [Canadiens Trades: Examining The Monahan To Rangers Rumour]
The Montreal Canadiens need to add more prospects to the mix who possess natural scoring talent, an organizational weakness that general manager Kent Hughes has surely noticed. Aside from Cole Caufield, the club lacks players with elite goal-scoring abilities. Considering that four of the top 10 prospects are defencemen gives merit to the idea that high-potential forwards could potentially slip down the draft board. [Canadiens Have Intriguing Options In Top 10 NHL Draft Forwards]
- Canadiens captain Nick Suzuki continues to work with the Asista Foundation, which provides support for people going through mental health struggles as well as shelter dogs.
A paws-itively heartwarming partnership 🐕
— NHLPA (@NHLPA) January 30, 2024
- Defenceman Arber Xhekaj turned 23 yesterday. Regardless of where he ends up in the organization, he can claim to be the only defenceman in hockey history to go undrafted from the CHL and then jump directly into an NHL lineup, a rather impressive feat.
— Stu Cowan (@StuCowan1) January 30, 2024
- Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman David Jiricek was sixth overall during Slafkovsky’s draft season. He’s playing in the NHL but is not happy with his lack of powerplay usage with the Blue Jackets.
National Hockey Now Network
- Calgary Flame Dillon Dubé has been directed to surrender to police in London, Ontario, in order to be charged with sexual assault in connection to an alleged incident occurring at a Hockey Canada event in June 2018. [Calgary Flames]
- Michael McLeod and Cal Foote of the New Jersey Devils have officially been named as part of the 2018 Hockey Canada sexual assault investigation. [New Jersey Devils]
- Michael McLeod and Cal Foote of the New Jersey Devils have officially been named as part of the 2018 Hockey Canada sexual assault investigation Philadelphia Flyers]
- Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Carter Hart has also been directed to surrender to police in London, Ontario, to face charges stemming from the investigation into alleged sexual assault involving the 2018 Team Canada World Juniors team. [Nashville Predators]
- With the Colorado Avalanche sitting on their bye week and off for another week, it’s time to really start digging into what they could do prior to the NHL Trade Deadline. And this year feels a little bit like Groundhog Day when you take a look back at last year’s NHL trade board. [Colorado Avalanche]