Here’s all the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories you may have missed on Tuesday.
- It hasn’t been an easy season in Montreal. That being said, there have been some bright spots within the organization, as some under-the-radar prospects are blowing past expectations this season and causing significant surprise. [Top-3 Most Improved Canadiens Prospects So Far This Season]
- Jesse Ylonen and Sean Monahan were not present at practice. The two opted for a therapy day.
Les attaquants Sean Monahan et Jesse Ylönen ne participeront pas à l'entraînement d'aujourd'hui (journée de traitements).
Forwards Sean Monahan and Jesse Ylönen will not participate in today's practice (therapy day).#GoHabsGo
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) January 16, 2024
- Habs owner Geoff Molson is satisfied with his team’s progression through the middle stages of the rebuild but is aware that there’s still much work to be done.
“In terms of the development of our young players, we see that we're progressing. Consistency is important for us, because we're not there yet. To be a top team, we're gonna have to be consistent on the PK, PP & 5v5…but I’m proud of the team’s performance.” – Geoff Molson today pic.twitter.com/lek65522EF
— /r/Habs (@HabsOnReddit) January 16, 2024
- Canadiens prospect Bogdan Konyushkov now has five goals and 18 assists in 51 games for Torpedo. The defenceman has also served as the team’s captain in recent games.
— Hockey News Hub (@HockeyNewsHub) January 16, 2024
- The numbers have improved since the start of the year, but it’s clear the Canadiens still struggle to defend the rush.
How good is your team off the rush and defending the rush?
For and against 📈
(Lowest and to the right is the best) pic.twitter.com/MoBWUV29qF
— Meghan Chayka (@MeghanChayka) January 15, 2024
National Hockey Now Network
- With a depleted prospect pool, the Colorado Avalanche have turned to the NCAA in recent years, restocking their cupboard with older prospects who cost nothing to acquire. On Tuesday night, the Avalanche got goals from three different NCAA free agents on their way to a 7-4 win. [Colorado Avalanche]
- Not long after the Philadelphia Flyers traded for Jamie Drysdale, fellow Anaheim Ducks player and best friend Trevor Zegras became the butt of trade rumours. The connection between Drysdale and Zegras made the Flyers an obvious speculative trade partner. However, many quickly cited John Tortorella as why Zegras wouldn’t work out in Philadelphia. It turns out the head coach is a fan of the talented forward. [Philadelphia Flyers]
- A successful power play is not necessarily an essential component of winning, though thriving without goals on the man advantage is rare. After a brief respite, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ season-long power play malaise has returned to the depths of ineffectiveness. [Pittsburgh Penguins]