Here’s all the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories you may have missed this weekend.
- ICYMI: Top forward prospect Joshua Roy made his NHL debut on Saturday against Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers. He was placed on the third line alongside Sean Monahan and Joel Armia. The game also featured new defensive pairings, as Justin Barron was made a healthy scratch. [Game 42: Roy Makes NHL Debut, New Lines & Pairings]
- Roy had a quiet NHL debut, unsurprising given his lack of professional hockey experience. However, despite losing, the Montreal Canadiens offered Bell Centre fans a good show. They put forth an honest effort and kept the high-flying Oilers at bay for the majority of the game. It was a complete turnaround from their pathetic effort on Thursday versus the lowly San Jose Sharks. [Canadiens Lose in Overtime After Great Effort Against Oilers]
- Prospect Owen Beck has scored nine points in three games since joining the Saginaw Spirit. It’s a good reminder that context is key when analyzing hockey players. Their usage, which includes ice time, teammates, strategies, and more, is always important to keep in mind when discussing their development. Habs fans should keep that in mind concerning David Reinbacher’s difficult year in Switzerland. [Canadiens Analysis: Beck, Reinbacher, & The Value Of Context]
- Former Habs draft pick Terry Ryan played his first professional hockey game in over 20 years on Sunday. The 47-year-old suited up for the Newfoundland Growlers in the ECHL.
— Newfoundland Growlers (@NLGrowlers) January 14, 2024
- Don’t look now, but the Laval Rocket are on a hell of a run. Even without many of their top players, the Rocket have managed to eight of their last 10 games.
— Rocket de Laval (@RocketLaval) January 13, 2024
National Hockey Now Network
- The Devils are likely still looking to solidify their crease. However, according to insider Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet’s Saturday Night Headlines, one of the Devils’ potential goaltending trade targets is going to be an unlikely purchase. Friedman explains it’s going to take a lot for the Calgary Flames to even entertain the idea of moving Jacob Markstrom. [New Jersey Devils]
- Carter Verhaeghe has reached several heights since joining the Florida Panthers in 2020. Verhaeghe, once battling for playing time in Tampa, is on pace for 40 goals for the second straight season as the Panthers passed the midway point of their season. [Florida Panthers]
- There wasn’t a lot of hope when both Nick Foligno and Connor Bedard went down–in the same game–while losing said contest. Naturally, the Blackhawks answered by shocking the Calgary Flames at home and keeping games close since. [Chicago Blackhawks]
MHN in your inbox
MHN on Facebook
Montreal Canadiens6 hours ago
What Should The Montreal Canadiens Do With RFA Jesse Ylonen?
Canadiens Wrap14 hours ago
Habs Wrap: Trade Deadline, Zegras, Reinbacher, Draft Lottery
Canadiens Postgame1 day ago
Another Very Good ‘Rebuild Loss’ For Canadiens Versus Devils
Canadiens Analysis1 day ago
Canadiens Rebuild: A Silver Lining Emerges Amid Difficult Stretch
Canadiens Pre Game1 day ago
Canadiens Game 58: An Opportunity To Get Results Versus Devils
Montreal Canadiens5 days ago
Trade Deadline Cap Broker Targets For Montreal Canadiens
Habs Prospects6 days ago
Habs Prospect Report: Florian Xhekaj Seizing His Opportunity
Canadiens Daily6 days ago
Habs Daily: Canadian Trade Partners, Xhekaj’s Scoring, Slafkovsky
Montreal Canadiens4 days ago
Trevor Zegras on the Montreal Canadiens’ Radar
Montreal Canadiens6 days ago