Here’s all the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories you may have missed on Wednesday.
- The Montreal Canadiens lost defenceman Gustav Lindstrom to waivers. The Anaheim Ducks quickly claimed the right-handed defenceman following a trade that sent Jamie Drysdale to the Philadelphia Flyers. Lindstrom had a relatively impressive production rate, but his defensive numbers were flat-out awful. [Canadiens Lose Defenceman Lindstrom To Waivers]
- We’re used to seeing names like Jake Allen and Sean Monahan on trade boards, but defenceman Mike Matheson has recently been added to TSN’s list. [TSN – Canadian Teams Headline Trade Bait Board]
- Jordan Harris had a rough start to the season. To make matters worse, he suffered a lower-body injury in November, which forced him to miss up to a month of action. Nevertheless, Harris returned to the lineup and immediately made a positive impact. [Habs Analysis – Defenceman Harris’ Impact Since Returning From Injury]
- Prospect Logan Mailloux will represent the Laval Rocket at the AHL All-Star Game. Despite strong seasons, both Joshua Roy and Brandon Gignac were snubbed from the All-Star festivities. [Prospect Mailloux An All-Star, Teammates Snubbed]
- Former Hab Corey Perry has been cleared to play by the NHL. Perry’s contract was terminated by the Chicago Blackhawks due to an undisclosed incident that involved inappropriate behaviour.
Can confirm that Corey Perry is eligible to sign with any NHL team as a free agent after having his contract terminated by the #blackhawks on Nov. 30.
He would need to sign by the March 8 trade deadline in order to be eligible for this year's playoffs.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) January 10, 2024
- Flyers head coach John Tortorella had some interesting things to say about Canadiens head coach Martin St-Louis.
#LetsGoFlyers John Tortorella on #Habs Martin St-Louis: "he drove me crazy as a player because there were so many questions, every shift there was a question. He made me a better coach because you have to be on your toes with him…he is analyzing all the time"
— Priyanta Emrith (@HabsInHighHeels) January 10, 2024
- Prospect Owen Beck is looking snazzy in his new uniform. Beck was traded to the Memorial Cup hosts, the Saginaw Spirit. [Owen Beck Involved In OHL Trade]
First look at the new guys 👀 pic.twitter.com/JP5a10utbd
— Saginaw Spirit (@SpiritHockey) January 10, 2024
National Hockey Now Network
- Connor Bedard had surgery Monday to repair a fractured jaw and will be out for approximately six to eight weeks in recovery. This is a massive blow to the lineup. The Blackhawks also confirmed this later, with a release that indicated the following from team physician Dr. Michael Terry: “Blackhawks forward Connor Bedard underwent successful surgery to repair his fractured jaw at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.” [Chicago Blackhawks]
- When considering the work of Detroit Red Wings forward Michael Rasmussen, a variation on a phrase once coined by Matt Millen when he was in charge of the Detroit Lions comes to mind. Millen was fond of saying it is what it is. In the case of Rasmussen, he is who he is. And maybe the time has come to accept that what he is isn’t all that bad. In fact, it’s proving to be quite helpful toward what the Red Wings are seeking to accomplish. [Detroit Red Wings]
- You don’t have to be Scotty Bowman to realize that the Philadelphia Flyers need a major upgrade on offence before they can become legitimate Stanley Cup contenders. That’s what makes the Cutter Gauthier trade to the Anaheim Ducks so disappointing.[Philadelphia Flyers]