All the latest Montreal Canadiens news, highlights, and stories from this past weekend.
- Montreal Canadiens head coach Martin St-Louis decided to give Samuel Montembeault the start versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. [Canadiens Game 29: Montembeault To Start Versus Penguins]
- The Canadiens started the game on the right foot and even had a 3-1 lead, but you can never count out a team with Sidney Crosby in their lineup. Crosby had two goals and an assist, powering a Penguins comeback win. [Sidney Crosby Reminds Montreal Canadiens He’s Not Done Yet]
- Habs prospect Owen Beck will once again represent Canada at the World Junior Championship. The 19-year-old centre is likely to play a leadership role for Team Canada as well.
Meet the 2⃣2⃣ players who will wear the 🍁 at the #WorldJuniors!
— Hockey Canada (@HockeyCanada) December 13, 2023
- Some bad news on the injury front. Tanner Pearson took a puck to the hand which forced him to leave Saturday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres. He has since been added to the injured reserve. Laval Rocket forward Emil Heineman received the call from the Canadiens to take Pearson’s place. Heineman has played five games since returning from a concussion, scoring three points. He’s also been engaged in most plays, adding a physical element to his game.
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) December 13, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- Even though Erik Karlsson gifted the Canadiens a goal to start the game, the Penguins have Sidney Crosby, who scored three points, including two goals, and carried the Penguins to a 4-3 shootout win over the Canadiens at Centre Bell. Check out the view from the other side of the rink from our sister site. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- Colorado Avalanche fans did a lot of cheering in the first period of Wednesday night’s game against the Buffalo Sabres. Not only did the Avalanche score three goals in the first, but they were able to give Erik Johnson a warm welcome back to Ball Arena.[Colorado Avalanche]
- Just barely a month after former Flyers assistant Kris Knoblauch replaced Jay Woodcroft for the Edmonton Oilers, it was announced late Tuesday night that the St. Louis Blues would be firing former Flyers head coach Craig Berube. Berube, 57, was fired four days before his 58th birthday.. [Philadelphia Flyers]