All the latest Montreal Canadiens information, highlights, and stories from this past weekend.
- Montreal Canadiens head coach Martin St-Louis rolled out brand new lines ahead of Saturday’s game at the Bell Centre versus the Detroit Red Wings. In addition, there was some good news as Arber Xhekaj was seen practicing with a regular jersey. Unfortunately, as is often the case with the Habs, the injury news contained more bad than good. Alex Newhook will miss 10 to 12 weeks with a high ankle sprain. [Canadiens Game 24: Newhook Update, New Forward Lines]
- It’s a trend. The Canadiens are almost always outscored in the first period. The team is ill-prepared on most nights, and despite showing their mettle late in games, their slow starts are difficult to overcome. [Another Poor Start By Canadiens Costs Them In Loss To Detroit]
- Overall, the Canadiens continue to receive solid goaltending. For those wondering, it takes roughly six goals saved above expected to single-handedly earn your team a win.
Team Goaltending – December 3 pic.twitter.com/JhSozFzK2Z
— JFresh (@JFreshHockey) December 3, 2023
- It was yet another solid weekend for Habs prospect Filip Mesar as he registered points against Niagara and Sarnia.
MONEY. MEŠÁR. 💸💸💸
— Ontario Hockey League (@OHLHockey) December 2, 2023
- Fellow prospect Owen Beck is also enjoying a great year from an offensive standpoint. He scored his 15th goal of the season against the North Bay Batallion. But as we all know, Beck brings more than just offence to the table.
Owen Beck (#GoHabsGo) has somehow improved even further his off-puck movement. Strong route here gets him a goal.
Beck was on the ice for only one goal against in this 7-3 loss, despite being deployed for DZ faceoffs, the PK, and much more. Finished this game with a +1.
— Hadi Kalakeche (@HadiK_Scouting) December 3, 2023
- Lane Hutson had a four-point weekend against Merrimack, including a three-point performance on Friday night.
Another point for #GoHabsGo prospect Lane Hutson!
He walks the line and creates a shooting lane, and then Lachance tips the puck.
3-0 BU pic.twitter.com/oeZ5puNHko
— Marc Dumont (@MarcPDumont) December 2, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- Boston Bruins captain Brad Marchand and Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer Ryan Reaves couldn’t even wait until warmups to start chirping each other ahead of the big Bruins-Leafs tilt in Toronto on Saturday night. [Boston Bruins]
- Detroit Red Wings head coach Derek Lalonde indicated on Saturday that they will be assessing the readiness of Patrick Kane to play an NHL game on Monday. If he is passing the test, then it’s likely that Kane will be making his Red Wings debut in his hometown of Buffalo against the Sabres on Tuesday. [Detroit Red Wings]
- Sidney Crosby says he didn’t have any particularly strong feelings, negative or otherwise, about the Philadelphia Flyers before breaking into the NHL in 2005. But if his perspective on that franchise hadn’t changed after his first month or so in the league, it certainly did on the evening of Nov. 16, 2005. [Philadelphia Flyers]