All the latest Habs news, recent Montreal Canadiens stories, as well as information from around the National Hockey League.
- The Montreal Canadiens are looking to take a step in the right direction, and for that to happen, so too must Juraj Slafkosvky. After an underwhelming rookie season, which saw the 19-year-old pot four goals and six assists for 10 points in 39 games, Juraj Slafkovsky is going to have to take his game up a notch or two this upcoming season if the Canadiens’ faithful are going to believe in the success of this rebuild. [ Montreal Canadiens What The Canadiens Want From Juraj Slafkovsky This Season For Hughes]
- The PWHL chapter in Montreal has made its first three signings. The roster is already formidable now that they have Marie-Philip Poulin, Laura Stacey, and Anne-Renne Desbiens locked down.
PWHL – sounds like Marie-Philip Poulin, Anne-Renee Desbiens and Laura Stacey will be the first three signings for Montreal.
— Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) September 5, 2023
- Rafael Harvey-Pinard raises funds for a minor league hockey association and a palliative care clinic in his neck of the woods.
Good guy Rafaël Harvey-Pinard recently helped raise over $42,000 during a charity golf tournament to help a minor hockey association & a palliative care clinic in Saguenay, QC ♥️ pic.twitter.com/c4MjW1kKVT
— /r/Habs (@HabsOnReddit) September 5, 2023
- Owen Beck was taken aback when he pulled his own rookie card from a pack of cards. Beck is currently in Washington participating in the NHLPA/Upper Deck Rookie Showcase alongside fellow Montreal Canadiens prospects Sean Farrell and Filip Mesar.
Owen Beck, @CanadiensMTL prospect, said he pulled his own rookie card when he opened an Upper Deck pack at dinner last night.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) September 5, 2023
Another NHLPA Rookie Showcase in the books.
— NHLPA (@NHLPA) September 5, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- NHL trade rumours are expected to pick up again soon, but don’t expect Boston Bruins goalies Linus Ullmark or Jeremy Swayman to be in many, and more importantly, traded. [Boston Bruins]
- The hype for Colorado Avalanche prospect Nikolai Kovalenko is off the charts right now. And if he consistently plays like he did in the season-opening game for Torpedo, I won’t blame people if they can’t control themselves. [Colorado Avalanche]
- How do these San Jose Sharks prospects, Will Smith and company, stack up against past groups? [San Jose Sharks]
- The Pittsburgh Penguins do not officially begin training camp for a couple of weeks. The rookie tournament is 10 days away. Yet 16 skaters and a goalie were on the ice at the Penguins’ UPMC Lemieux practice facility. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- In the midst of a career year, Filip Hronek’s career with the Detroit Red Wings came to a sudden ending. Looking back, the defenseman can readily admit that the news he was going to the Vancouver Canucks just prior to last season’s NHL trade deadline caught Hronek completely by surprise. [Detroit Red Wings]
- With first-round pick Oliver Bonk signed and delivered, the Philadelphia Flyers can look ahead, maybe with some trepidation, about their future defensive corps. [Philadelphia Flyers]