All the latest Habs news, recent Montreal Canadiens stories, as well as information from around the National Hockey League.
- The Montreal Canadiens announced they signed centre Mitchell Stephens to a one-year contract extension, leaving general manager Kent Hughes with just four contracts to resolve before the start of training camp, including Alex Newhook’s extension. [Canadiens General Manager Hughes Finalizing Summer Contracts]
- Check out the latest off-season edition of the Habs Mailbag, which covers Arber Xhekaj’s ideal defensive partner, whether the team should move on from Alex Burrows, where Juraj Slafkovsky will play next year, prospects, and much more. [Canadiens Mailbag: Xhekaj’s Partner, Alex Burrows’ Work, Slafkovsky]
- Newhook was spotted in a Canadiens jersey for the first time. He’s currently in Boston skating with Carolina Hurricanes forward Jack Drury. [R/Habs: Alex Newhook Practices In Boston]
First look at Alex Newhook in a Habs jersey 👀
This photo was taken at the Harvard hockey rink in Boston earlier today.
(📸: u/btf1213 on our subreddit) pic.twitter.com/g8XZWrSSu9
— /r/Habs (@HabsOnReddit) July 10, 2023
National Hockey Now Network
- The San Jose Sharks are taking another swing at the 2018 Draft. This time, it’s Filip Zadina, the sixth-overall pick of that Draft, that they’re taking a chance on with a one-year, $1.1 million pact. [San Jose]
- The player-elected arbitration hearing dates for Boston Bruins goalie Jeremy Swayman, defenseman Ian Mitchell and forward Trent Frederic have been set. [Boston Bruins]
- The Pittsburgh Penguins draft and free agency haul have been substantial. Not in recent memory or ever have the Penguins had three first-round picks on the ice together at development camp. [Pittsburgh Penguins]
- The Detroit Red Wings acquired Alex DeBrincat from the Ottawa Senators for a first-round pick in 2024, Dominik Kubalik, prospect defenseman Donovan Sebrango and a 2024 fourth-round pick. [Detroit Red Wings]
- No one’s NHL future has ever been set in stone just because they were passed over in the draft. Just ask Colorado Avalanche defenseman Devon Toews about that. [Colorado Avalanche]
- The Philadelphia Flyers signed a goalie on the day they might have lost one. CapFriendly reported Saturday that the Philadelphia Flyers signed 2021 draft pick Alexei Kolosov to a three-year, entry-level contract. [Philadelphia Flyers]
- By now you’ve read multiple articles about the names etched into the Stanley Cup. What about the one name that is not etched into the Vegas Golden Knights Stanley Cup? [Vegas Golden Knights]