MONTREAL — There’s never a dull moment when it comes to the Montreal Canadiens, but many fans lead a very busy life, meaning it’s not always possible to keep up to date with every news story.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
Every Sunday we will recap the most exciting and relevant news stories that you may have missed throughout the week.
- In this Habs mailbag we tackle Monahan’s trade value, Mailloux’s progress, things to do upon your first visit to the Bell Centre, the NHL trade market, the most underrated Hab, and more.
- A handful of Canadiens prospects are set to star in the CHL playoffs this spring, which could help vault their development to the next level.
- Canadiens Mike Matheson has been a game-changing presence when in the lineup. The numbers don’t lie.
- Canadiens goaltender Carey Price recounts stories about his Draft year, including interest from several other NHL clubs.
- The Buffalo Sabres have too many goalies, the Canadiens don’t have many exciting goalies in their prospect pool, making the two perfect trade partners.
- The Canadiens can’t win with them, but are the Retro Reverse jerseys truly cursed? No. Well, probably not. Here are the facts.
- Recently, several Canadiens veterans have found their rhythm, which is nothing but good news when it comes to the work that needs to be done by Kent Hughes at the trade deadline.
- The Canadiens re-assigned Anthony Richard to their AHL affiliate, the Laval Rocket.
- This season was supposed to be one development for the Montreal Canadiens, and, for the most part, it has been, but not for everyone. That’s got to change moving forward, for the good of players like Juraj Slafkovsky and Justin Barron.
- The Canadiens have allowed Jesse Ylönen to develop in the AHL longer than most prospects in recent memory, but now they need to find out what they have in him, especially with the NHL Trade Deadline looming.
- It’s time for the Habs prospect power rankings! Thanks to an excellent showing this week and throughout the season, goaltender Jakub Dobes forces his way into the top 10.
- P.K. Subban will be honoured by the Canadiens on Thursday night, so let’s take a look at some of the numbers that powered Subban’s excellent tenure as one of the most exciting defencemen in recent memory.
- P.K. Subban returned to Montreal to a hero’s welcome, delivering a fantastic speech as well as performing the famous triple-low five with Carey Price.
- Young players such as Arber Xhekaj and Jonathan Kovacevic discussed the impact made by P.K. Subban during his time with the Canadiens.
- Xhekaj dropped the gloves with Predators forward Tanner Jeannot, landing yet another jaw-smashing right hook.
- According to sources the St-Louis Blues are not interested in being sellers at the NHL trade deadline, which should give Kent Hughes and the Canadiens more leverage as the trade landscape shifts to a seller’s market.
- Prospect Vinzenz Rohrer was involved in an unfortunate incident which resulted in the young player being stretchered off the ice. He underwent a series of tests and is now back at home, resting. He will be kept out of action indefinitely.
- Vincent Lecavalier took part in an interview in which he focused on Juraj Slafkovsky’s development, where he should be playing, as well as Lecavalier’s own time in the NHL as an 18-year-old.
- The NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau released their mid-term rankings, giving fans a better idea of the type of skilled players that will be available at the 2023 Draft. Spoiler: They’ll probably end up with a very talented forward.
- Several Montreal Canadiens veterans have found their groove lately, following the example set by Jake Evans.
- Now that he’s reached the 25-goal mark, take a look at some of the nicest and most important goals scored by Cole Caufield during his young career.
- The Canadiens will have a pretty specific shopping list in the lead-up to the NHL Trade Deadline.
- The Montreal Canadiens’ recent slide down the standings has improved their 2023 Draft outlook, but a significant shift in betting odds project that the Florida Panthers could make it even better.
- Joel Edmundson could be a good fit on several teams, including the Washington Capitals, shopping for reinforcements in the NHL Trade market.
The Season So Far
If you’d like to go back and comb over some of the biggest news so far this season, here’s a list of each weekly Wrap-Up so far:
Jan 8th – 2023 Draft Odds, Habs Prospects Traded
Jan 1st – Big 2023 Draft Lottery Odds, 2019 Re-Draft
Dec 25th – Popular Habs In Trade Talks, Xhekaj Fights
Dec 18th – Habs 2023 Draft Gamble, NHL Trade Talk
Dec 11th – Habs Interest In Boeser, Prospects at WJC
Dec 4th – Caufield Extension, Montreal’s Plan For 2023 Draft
Nov 27th – Habs Trade Talk, Monahan’s Growing Value
Nov 20th – Kent Hughes Active, NHL Trade Rumours
Nov 13th – Hughes’ Trade Strategy, Kirby Dach’s Growth
Nov 6th – St-Louis Strategy, Caufield, Slafkovsky
Oct 30th – Habs Trade Talk, Roster Shuffle & Waivers
Oct 23rd – Juraj Slafkovsky Impressing, Xhekaj And More
Oct 16th – Hughes’ LTIR Strategy, Carey Price, Waivers
Oct 9th – Hughes Roster Strategy, Roy, Slafkovsky